Pages

Saturday, April 16, 2011

The Zambezi Zone

Lusaka is perhaps the smallest capital city I've visited.  It's no bigger than any medium sized city in the US.  A few of us took a truck to visit Zambikes, a charity/bike builder based in Zambia.  A couple of American kids started the organization and hired local workers to build bikes.  They make specialized bikes for Africa, including ambulances (yes, a bike ambulance!) and carts.  Zambikes also builds bamboo bikes.  We toured the factory and saw the entire frame building process.  I bought a bamboo frame!

On the way to Zambikes, I saw the funniest building name in history - Get Rich or Die Trying Complex.  We'v seen many funny building signs, like Try Again Plaza.

Stage 68 - After a solid rest day with a lot of protein loading, I felt great for the 158km ride.  I had 3 t-bone steaks, a full chicken, at least 10 milk shakes, and a lot of other junk food during the break.  I might have beaten Michael Phelps on the 10,000 calorie diet.  The ride was simply spectacular today.  It was a dry and cool day, with very low humidity.  After all, it's fall here. The morning ride had some good climbs, but the afternoon ride was very flat.  Rodney and I stopped at a grocery store and loaded up on yougarts and Cokes.  Zambia is fairly westernized.  It's interesting to see the contrast between Malawi and Zambia.  All the western conveniences are available here.

Stage 69 - Last night's sky was spectacular, again.  The Milky Way galaxy streaked acrossed the sky.  I wish I could photograph it.  Parts of the galaxy looked like clouds in the sky.  Venus, the brightest star in the sky, came out in the early morning.

This was a long ride, 182kms!  I've done two centuries prior to this trip.  This was the longest ever, with more climbs than descends.  I started the morning by myself, but quickly the racers caught up.  I stayed with them for 10+ kms, then dropped.  After lunch, I went a bit faster.  There was a little town about 40km before camp.  Some of us stopped there to get a second lunch.  I felt great after the break and was flying for the rest of the ride.

Stage 70 - Today was long ride into Livingston, 150+kms.  Terry from Australia went for a stage win today.   He is raising money for his charity, a stage win will generate for donations.  I rode with the main peloton group most of the morning and decided to break away about 10kms from lunch.  I sprinted out in front and pedled hard to lunch.  Lunch was a treat - water melons and french toast.  The ride into Livingston was beautiful.  Miles away from the city, you could see a huge plumme of cloud arising from the ground - Victoria Falls is within sight.  Terry won the stage with the race leader hot on his heel.

No comments:

Post a Comment