Pages

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Black Mamba

We have reached the half way point in Arusha, Tanzania!  We crossed from Kenya to Tanzania this morning.  Mount Maru greeted us with all her grandeur.

We've raised almost $1000 towards BkB.  Many thanks to the following people for their generous donations!  You guys rock!  Please keep sending the donations.

Avesh Jain and Serena Jain
Gerald and Joanne Blackmore 
Schneider Electric (match for Gerald Blackmore’s donation)
Gregory and Heather Smith
Megan Verbanick 
Jaideep Moorthy & Sharad Jaideep
Clayton & Chantal Stanyer 


Stage 46 - Nairobi was very relaxing.  We stayed away from the busy part of the city.  Most of us found our own sanctuary.  I got my bike completely overhauled and went to a mall to get food and internet.  Nairobi is fairly modern compared to the other capital cities that we visited.  When we left for the ride this morning, I saw a lot of sharply dress professional people either driving to work or waiting for a bus.  

The ride out of Nairobi was a nightmare.  The morning traffic was so busy on a narrow two lane road.  We had to dodge big buses, on coming cars, trucks, and mini buses.  Once we got out the city and headed south, the road was nearly empty.  The 100 mile ride seemed easy today.  The road was well paved.  In fact I saw Chinese engineers working on the road.  

Stage 46 - We crossed into Tanzania today.  Mt. Maru was in front of us all day.  After we passed the border control, Mike, our new Mechanic from Kenya passed me on a single speed Chinese style bike (modeled after the old Raleigh bike).  I asked him if we can switch bikes.  He happily gave me his bike, the "Black Mamba," as he called it.  I learned how to ride on a bike just like this one.  It took me back to when I was a kid.  I think I was 6 or 7, and the seat was way to high for me.  So I crossed my leg through the frame and my mom or dad held the bike from behind.  These bikes are really sturdy.  Mike and I agreed to change back the bikes at lunch.  When I arrived at lunch, everyone was waiting to see how I was doing on a single speed bike.  They also told me that Mike loved my bike so much, he left with the racing group!  I had to ride the Black Mamba in the afternoon, which included a 10km climb!  It was a tough ride, but when other riders passed me, they all took pictures.  I guess it's strange to see someone ride a beat up single speed bike that most locals might not even use.  I made it to camp with no problems.  Mike finished first on my bike!  Now I'm affectionately known as "Mr. Single Speed!"


1 comment:

  1. Haha, funny stuff! Glad you're having a good time :)

    ReplyDelete