Pages

Monday, December 20, 2010

No matter what happens, there will be a few good stories to tell.

Less than a month from now, under the Pyramids in Giza, Egypt, I'll be starting the 7500 mile trans-Africa bike race.  It will be the most physically and mentally challenging "vacation" ever.  A few years ago, when I researched an overland trip across Africa and stumbled on Tour d'Afrique's (TDA) website and was intriguing by the offering: Africa, adventures and cycling all in one.  I was not in any shape to participate then, since TDA is billed as "the longest and toughest bicycle races and expeditions in the world."  So I bought a bike and started cycling. 

I was thinking about registering for the 2012 ride earlier this year.  While driving back home from DC, I had a conversation with Dana Farrel, a rider just returned from this year's TDA.  Her enthusiasm immediately captured my imagination for the trip and the message was pretty clear: just do it!  Seriously, I couldn't wait to get home to sign up for the 2011 TDA after talking to Dana. Since that conversation, everything went by so fast: getting a bike, weekend long rides, research and buy supplies, immunization, secure leave from work, apply for visas, etc.  It's been a blur.  


My goal for this blog is to update friends and family on the progress of the trip, based on internet availability.  Looking at the first week of rides: day 1 - 70 miles, day 2 - 100 mi, day 3 - 70 mi,  day 4 - 59 mi, day 5 - 75 mi.  I'm not sure if I can muster the energy to type.  No matter what happens, there will be a few good stories to tell.

6 comments:

  1. Go, Sam, Go! Looking forward to following your progress here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sam - this is wonderful. You're an inspiration, but also a reminder of how out of shape I am. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent, this a wonderful method of adding to your list of "countries I've already visited" or "countries your friends will never visit but I already have".

    All the best man! The ride sounds intense and will definitely be an adventure of a lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kewl... this will be the first blog I follow. Good luck chupta villeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Wait. Do i have to sign into this thing to post? I guess I'll go with Anonymous---- your bud, Adeeeetheeeya.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sam, Good luck on the momentous journey. I wish I was there riding the 12,000 km with you. I can't wait to read all the amazing stories I am sure you will amass on your trek

    Stay strong, god speed and good luck!
    -Kyle

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sam, receive full of positive ernergie from France and the best thought through your amazing travel.Virginie

    ReplyDelete